Today, we’ll be making a flexible protective case for the Asus Zenfone V Live when I got this phone. The cases were backordered. So of course, I decided to design my own. The first step is to identify all of the points that need to be accessible through the case and get those measured up using calipers next. I have used fusion 360 to create a profile with an inside edge that’s going to fit snugly against the sides of the phone for the back. I’ve placed a cutout for the camera lens and added some Phillips to mimic the curves of the phone, sweeping that first profile around the back sketch creates an outer shape that’s going to be slim and easy to grip a few more sketch shapes get extruded through for all the access points then. I’ve chamfered those edges and added some custom support structures to make the cutouts print more cleanly. This all took several tries to get the tolerances. Right, so I’ll show you some of those intermediate versions. Later on in the video, I have extruded a solid back plate but left a recess for this chainmail design. It’s made from a primitive that’s been rotated and copied a bunch of times to create that link pattern, then scale and trim to fit into the frame. I’m printing this in cheetah, which will make a case that’s super tough, but flexible enough to pop onto the phone. The layer texture is going to help make even more grippy and the whole thing is thick enough to provide a bit of impact protection. The chainmail pattern takes on this really interesting wire, rub sort of texture through the printing process, and then the flat parts get a smooth, glossy. Sheen from the print bite these support pieces take a bit of effort to remove and do need a bit of cleanup, also the hole for the headphone. Jack needs to be wider, so I’m using a wood burner and then the Dremel to extend that to a six millimeter diameter. The flexible filament had a little bit of trouble printing on the sides. So we’re going to sand that plane a bit, and that’s also gonna make it soft and more comfortable to hold so then. I’m gonna just go over everything with the heat gun to give it a final smooth finish now. We have this super sturdy, flexible cover, which just snaps on at all. The corners grips the phone snugly and the side buttons are easy to access as are, of course all the other ports. Then it just pops off the same way it goes on. If you need to take it off, let’s take this design. One step further and add some color to bring out that pattern for this one. I added an intense blue to the bottom red to the top and blended them together towards the center and cleaned off all the excess so that the paint is only in the recessed areas [Music] and then I tried that same technique using metallic copper and silver paints. This one kind of has a Steampunk vibe because up close those layers start to look like wire wrapped around and then Criss crossing behind the links. Once the paint is dry, It needs to be sealed, so I’m dabbing it in wiping away the excess and doing a second coat. What’s that once dry [Music] [Music] so we’ve got a few color options. Now let’s just jump back and take a look at the earlier versions of the design. The first one I stopped after about two layers, because really, I just needed to live tune. The bed leveling the second print showed that the cutouts are going to need supports and also that the side buttons and charging port access cutouts needed to be a little bit larger. I sanded those a bit just to get an idea of what the next iteration should look like. The fit was okay, but a little bit loose in some areas and a tad tight around the corners, so for the next version. I made a lot of little tweaks and also tried out the chainmail pattern. It still didn’t fit correctly around the screen, so the next version. I shrugged that profile down even more and revised the button access holes. I noticed that the increased size of the headphone port caused some issues because it was cut so close to the upper frame. The fit was improved around the corners and the buttons were accessible, but now there was too much of a gap below each port and still some gaping up above next. I add is a little block below the ports. It wasn’t quite big enough, so I’m heated taller and extended it all the way around the case. This improved the overall fit and filled the gaps below the ports. I was still having issues with the way. The headphone hole was affecting the print quality of the frame above it, so I just printed it smaller and then widened it out in post-processing and this worked a lot better one other issue. The angle was a bit off for the upper frame for it to print correctly on the inside, so I modified the profile and printed just that part to make sure all the layers were bonding now and that nothing was trying to print into thin air, and then that one became the final version, so the case fits just right. The buttons and ports are accessible and the phone is comfortable and grippy to hold, so I’m much less likely to drop it, but it’s also got a better chance of surviving unscathed. If something does happen. I hope you enjoyed this video and maybe give it a thumbs up. If you think this was a good solution. Thanks for watching, and I will see you soon. [music] you [Music]!